Re: How much data can you put in v$session_longops

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2005 01:47:01 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> That said I also think any production DBA that isn't using
> OEM or Grid Control has rocks in their head ... and you're
> damned right I like the Mac.

Install a copy of standard edition. Now try and use EM10g, legally - that is after disabling all the management packs which you just cannot legally use on standard edition.

I have to also express my doubts about the quality of the current release - click the jobs link on the Administration page - oh wait that's not good enough information, there are two links with the same name that do different things.

Then there is the fact that the database status check is unreliable - that is EM10g can't reliably tell whether the database is up or down.

Don't get me wrong I like EM in principle, and I'm a big fan of the manageability improvements in 10g, I have issues with the current quality of EM, and the fact that existing functionality has been removed by the upgrade to 10g (or rather made hugely chargeable). And I still don't like the charging for querying database views with your own sql scripts - but I can see why one might do that.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com Received on Wed Apr 27 2005 - 03:47:01 CDT