Re: anonymous transaction and altering table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:12:55 -0700

DaLoverhino wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a table named PAIR with a column that contains name=value pairs.
>

> Now, I have a conversion script which goes through each row of this
> table, and parses the contents of the name-value column putting the
> results into two separate tables. The script kinda looks like this:
>

> DECLARE
> ---
> BEGIN
> --- Parse PAIRS and extract the name-value column data.
> --- Put the extracted data in another table.
> END
>
> COMMIT; --- Complains
>
> ALTER TABLE PAIRS drop column colname; --- Complains here too.
>

> Forgetting about the COMMIT; for now, the anonymous block and the alter
> table commands work separately, but not together in a script. Why is
> that? I know I can use separate scripts to do it, but it would be
> great to put it all in one script.
>
> Is there a command I can give to oracle that will allow me to do so?
>
> thanks!

No SQL.
No error message.
No version.
No help.

Seriously ... how do you expect anyone to help you when you act like you are being charged by the character to post. What is anyone supposed to make of:
"----- Parse PAIRS and extract the name-value column data."? Are we supposed to somehow interact with the cosmos and receive divine inspiration as to what you did wrong?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington