Re: Character set while export and import drives me crazy

From: Jaap W. van Dijk <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:54:53 +0200

Comments inline

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:19:07 +0200, Ralf Bender <ralf.bender_at_arcor.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>import and export are driving me crazy.
>
>I've got a source database ORA 7.3 which I exported first with a
>character set in the enviroment variable US7ASCII. The original database
>was created with AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII.

But what does it *really* contain? GERMAN_GERMANYWE8ISO8859P1 characters?

>I will import this to a target database ORA 8.1 with a character set of
>WE8ISO8859P1.
>
>After importing i loose all german special characters.

Oracle is liable to do a conversion when the charactersets are different. If all charactersets (source, environment, target) are identical, no conversion take place and the high-end bit will be exported and imported unharmed.

>I try a second export and set the enviroment at the source database to
>GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1.
Somewhere along the line a conversion takes place, but I'm not sure where: Oracle might convert before putting the data into the exportfile because charactersets of source database and environment differ, or put this fact into the file heading and use this to convert while doing the import.

>After importing I have also no german special characters.
>
>Can someone tells me what I'm doing worng here or what's the correct way.

If your source database actually contains GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1 characters, fool Oracle by setting the environment and the target database to the source database value (AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII) , so no conversion takes place, and afterwards change the target database value to GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1.