Re: How much data can you put in v$session_longops

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:49:17 +0000 (UTC)

"Pratap" <pratap_fin_at_rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:830861d2.0504252333.2e379f0c_at_posting.google.com...
> Thanks a lot, will try to stress test and come up with the answer. But
> I am a bit paranoid about messing up anything in the dictionary
> because of the stress test.
>

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message >
>> I can't answer when it is purged but there is no limit of which I am
>> aware as to the number of entries that can be made.

In that version of Oracle (8.1.7), I think there is a limit on the structure which is either 2 x sessions or 1 x sessions.

A single session can use up the whole list, though - and sometimes does because the code is a little buggy and uses a new row instead of updating an existing one.

When the list is full, I think nothing more can go into it until a session holding some rows exits - and I don't think there is any explicit 'release entry' call in the package that helps. Nothing gets blocked if the list if full, though.

Warning - it's a long time since I looked at it, so I may be out of date; and I won't make any guarantees about 9i.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Public Appearances - schedule updated April 5th 2005