Re: Data Centre Failover and Oracle Grid

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:44:50 -0700

Alex White wrote:

> I am reviewing the possibility of a cluster over both data centres,
> I.e. a 4 node cluster with 2 nodes in each data centre. Which created
> my question about the SAN's in each data centre.

Your review is over. ;-)

> Your question regarding the interconnect is a little beyond me.

It shouldn't be ... this is the biggest hurdle you will face. You need to learn about RAC before contemplating such a thing.

> I am very new to 10g and clustered systems.

Sorry ... but obviously.

> All I can say is that the connection between each data centre is a
> 10Gb dark fibre, and the distance between sites is about 60 km.

Then what you propose is technically impossible given any sum of money your management will be willing to provide you.

> I have been searching the web to try and get more of an understanding
> about interconnect.
> I have seen within this news group a thread on interconnect protocols
> udp / tcpip. My networking skills are, to be honest, poor.
> If there is a link you could suggest, or a recommendation I would appreciate
> it.

I would suggest three things.

  1. Stop top posting.
  2. Get a consultant with experience implementing 'stretch clusters'.
  3. Explain to your management that you are considering an implementation that will require laying 60km of fibre. How many tens of millions of dollars are in your budget? -- Daniel A. Morgan University of Washington damorgan_at_x.washington.edu (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)