Re: Problem with Oracle 10g + latest 10g JDBC Thin driver + NCLOB's of 1K-32K in size

From: John Hendrikx <hjohn_at_please.remove.this.xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:11:46 +0200

stephen.howard_at_us.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> John,
>
> I admittedly have not used the new 10g drivers, but I have *always* had
> problems with the thin driver when using *LOB's. There used to be a
> 2048 byte limit on something else, I can't remember what, that took me
> almost two weeks to track down. As soon as I switched to the OCI
> driver, voila, the problem went away.

Such limits can be avoided by using the setStringForClob function, which is new for the 10g thin driver. Before the 10g driver you had to use a characterstream to fill in CLOBs, which was very cumbersome (it still does this, but now it is hidden in the driver).

setStringForClob works perfectly really, it just bugs when used for NCLOB's :/

> Is there any opportunity to use the OCI, or is it an applet?

I'll see what is in involved in using the OCI drivers; I think we prefer not to use them because it causes more hassle when running on different platforms.

--John Received on Tue Apr 26 2005 - 10:11:46 CDT