Re: Character set while export and import drives me crazy

From: Ralf Bender <ralf.bender_at_arcor.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:40:54 +0200

Frank van Bortel said the following on 25.04.2005 11:05:

> Ralf Bender wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>import and export are driving me crazy.
>>
>>I've got a source database ORA 7.3 which I exported first with a
>>character set in the enviroment variable US7ASCII. The original database
>>was created with AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII.
>>
>>I will import this to a target database ORA 8.1 with a character set of
>>WE8ISO8859P1.
>>
>>After importing i loose all german special characters.
>>
>>I try a second export and set the enviroment at the source database to
>>GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P1.
>>
>>After importing I have also no german special characters.
>>
>>Can someone tells me what I'm doing worng here or what's the correct way.
>>
>>thx
>>ralf
>

> Actually, I can hardly believe you had *any* special character in
> that databse, or it was not *created* with US7ASCII.
> Special characters are in the extended characterset, which requires
> the use of the 8th bit; obviously, something US7ASCII doesn't
> allow.
>
> If the 7.3 databse *did* have special characters, export using
> AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII, and import using that, too.
>
> You should *not* have warnings about characterset conversions!

I don't really understand what happens here. I create a new database with US7ASCII and run the importfile also in US7SCAII.
After that, I changed the characterset of the whole database to WE8ISO8859P1 and I see german special characters!

But, how can i be sure that only the special characters are changed and not other data.... Received on Mon Apr 25 2005 - 06:40:54 CDT