Re: 10g RAC - fail over test issue

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:28:07 -0700

SG wrote:

> Hello,
>
> While running some TAF tests on a 10g (10.1.0.3) SE 2 node RAC, the delay to
> switch from one node to other takes 15-20 minutes when unplugging the
> network cable. Also, after plugging the network back in, network
> connectivity on the node is lost. We have to restart network services and
> cluster services or just reboot if they don't restart properly. Another test
> we did was shutting down one node while running a long query (the TAF
> failover test notes from metalink) and failover takes 5 minutes in that
> case. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior when the network
> being uplugged and plugged back in actually kills all network services? TIA.
>
> SG

Testing failover with destruction of the Vulcan mind-meld is not reasonable as this is one place where the creation of redundant paths is straight-forward and not too expensive. I've yet to ever see a RAC cluster fail this way.

A more reasonable test is SHUTDOWN ABORT, or if you are brave, pulling the power cord out with a quick tug.

That siad 15-20 minutes is about right for a NIC card for TCP/IP setting trying to do a keep-alive. Check out your settings and get the dumbest NIC cards you can find that are certified by the vendor for RAC.

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington