back - up strategy

From: vidyesh <vidyeshk_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2005 09:59:21 -0700

my consultant has designed a ha and back-up / dr strategy for me. i have a 50 gb oracle 8i db running on a single windows 2k advanced server.

he is recommending that

  1. set - up a microsoft windows server cluster in active - active mode with another server and then run an oracle parallel failsafe on both these. this should take care of the ha problem.
  2. move the database to archive log mode. currently it is not so.
  3. take a nightly hot back - up to a server within the same data centre.
  4. multiplex the archivelogs and the control files to 3 diferent servers so we can have 3 copies of these on different servers.
  5. take a weekly cold back - up to a server within the same data centre. this is different than the one on which the nightly hot back-ups are kept.
  6. use oracle dataguard to take a back-up and ship the archive logs to a server within the same data centre. this server is different from the ones on which the hot and cold back-ups are kept.
  7. use oracle dataguard to take a back-up and ship the archive logs every 15 minutes to a server in a data centre about 1000 km away . this can be done over the internet thru a vpn.
  8. do an export / import of the whole database to another server in the data centre.

i have some questions on his recommendations.

hey i know that was a long question but then so are my consultants recommendations.

tia

vidyesh Received on Thu Apr 21 2005 - 11:59:21 CDT