Re: Made stupid mistake, how can I recover?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:41:03 +0200

Paul wrote:

> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>open a command session (also known as a "DOS-box").
>>set your oracle environment: set oracle_sid=orcl

> Did this - set oracle_sid=Paulie
>

>>Of course, orcl might be different from your environment; adapt
>>accordingly.
>>sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

> Did this, it worked.
>

>>you should now have 'connected to an idle instance'

> No, what I got was

> G:\Documents and Settings\Paul>sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Thu Apr 21 14:42:41 2005
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>

> Connected to:
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
> JServer Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
>
> SQL>
> -------------------
>
> I could then connect as scott/tiger.

Congrats! Your oracle survived! It's up-and-running!

> However, if I try and get to the db using the SQLPlus from the Oracle
> programmes group, it fails with the 12560 Error.
See below

> Also, if I close down the dos-box and restart it, I am obliged to
> reset the oracle_sid for it to start working again.

Expected behavior

> I can access the db using the Oracle Entreprise Manager Console
> Standalone, but I cannot just fire up a session of SQLPlus using the
> "GUI" version - I have to set oracle_sid=Paulie from inside a dos-box
> and then run SQLPlus from there!
>
> Basically, what I want to know is how to have the db start

What we're probably facing is a windows screw-up. As this OS cannot have different environments (one PATH variable...), you probably end up using SQL*Plus from the last install (management server, it was?)

Cleanest way is to deinstall:

* fire up the Oracle Universal Installer
* click Installed Software
* check the management server stuff, and
* remove.

Fastest way is to alter your path, via the control panel, Advanced, Environment variables.
Look in the lower box, the system variables. Scroll down until you find PATH; edit it.
The last install will have left a path to the binaries; just cut that directory including the trailing ';'. I hope, the directory, containing executables of the database install is now the first entry. Move the cursor to the right, just before the ';'. Insert the previously cut value (Ctrl-V).

Should work as before after a logoff/logon.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel