Re: Rman Restore

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:35:08 GMT

On 20 Apr 2005 07:33:41 -0700, amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

>Stupid question here:
>
>What is the difference if I perform an incremental RMAN backup each
>night, verses if I just backup the archive logs?

  1. Performance.

Recovery through archivelogs is generally much slower than applying incremental backups.

The more redo the DB generates, the more significant the difference becomes.

Incremental backups of course require some extra I/O and CPU ressources, but this investment will pay off with less MTTR.

2) Safety.

Archive logs are much more vulnerable than datafile backups, e.g. log corruption and accidently use of "nologging".

If you are a careful DBA, you don't want to rely on a very long chain of archive logs being 100% intact. Break the chain with regular full/inc backups.