Re: Real World Experience of Oracle RAC and its ability to Scale

From: Ian Turner <iturner1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:36:06 +0100

When you talk about >4 node Oracle RAC clusters are you talking database server - or application and database server.

I understand a little more about the application architecture being proposed now.

They are attempting to create a grid architecture to manage both the application and database components. This is being done using Oracle CRS. I am being told that for CRS to be able to manage a node it must have a database instance on it and be part of the RAC cluster. However, unlike the database instance the application components are not load balanced. The only cluser management of application components appears to be to restart application components in the event of one of them failing. CRS must perform some monitoring to support this.

This seems odd to me. I would have thought OEM could perform this function, e.g. install the Oracle agent on the application server, configure it to report some custom events and create scripts/triggers within OEM to restart failed components. I actually thought OEM managed the grid environment - I wasn't aware of CRS until today.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Ian