Re: What are the ports involved with DB Link

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Apr 2005 06:02:34 -0700

ryerras wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Bakker. But I do have questions. As far as I
know,
> the "other" network just opened port 1521 for their db server. If
> listener redirects communication to a random port, how are we able to
> connect with sqlplus. I am able to do all operations in sqlplus. But
> the problem comes when we create the db link between the two
databases.
> So are you saying, this redirection of communication to a random port
> is only for db link? Please clarify this doubt, so I could talk to
the
> "other" db folks about this issue

Using Ed's post "DB01 to DB02" example, It maybe easier if you can goto DB01 server console, launch sqlplus and try a connection to DB02 rather then trying to diagnose it from your client and dblink.

  1. If your sqlplus connection is successfull then you can narrow it down to just dblink. Post your dblink statement here.
  2. If your sqlplus connection is unsuccessfull then you got other issues before even attempting a dblink connection. In that case, look up instructions from Sybrand's post about listener redirect. You can also search metalink, there are few usefull articles posted there also.

Issue is not with your connection from a client to DB01... issue is with connection from DB01 to DB02.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Wed Apr 20 2005 - 08:02:34 CDT