Re: hotmail password request tool (intranet usage)

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:45:52 -0700

Charles Newman wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>updateserver28_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>>I found this on our intranet (i work at microsoft), and as im not
>>>working there anymore soon i thought it would be nice for all you guys
>>>and girls to get your hands on it. Ive put it on
>>>http://matweb.info/~hotmail/hotmail.rar
>>>
>>>Have fun!
>>
>>Let me see if I get this correctly ... you have stolen an internal
>>file from Microsoft and you are distributing it in a usenet group.
>>And you think anyone out here dumb enough to blindly open an archive
>>file not knowing its contents.
>>
>>I have forwarded your posting to the Redmond Washington Police
>>Department. And hope they find you quickly.
>

>    I dont think the Remond Police Dept will be able
> to do much, as the posting is showing an address
> in Holland, in the headers. 62.195.137.150
> points to a computer at chello.nl, in Holland.
> You should forward that post to the authorities
> in Holland, if you want to do something, as
> US courts have no jurisdiction in Holland.

You'd be surprised. Our local law enforcement agencies, remember Microsoft is in Redmond, are quite good and have very good relations internationally including into the former Soviet Union.

I've no doubt they will pursue it based on other similar cases. Keep in mind this is not just about fact ... it is also about appearance. Microsoft does not even want a rumor flying around about something like this.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington