Re: SQL transaction timeout

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:42:49 +0200

On 19 Apr 2005 09:10:48 -0700, pplppp_at_gmail.com wrote:

>I'm using Oracle8i and I use ProC to write embedded PL/SQL in the
>client application. If the client executes some SQL query but the
>database is not responding due to slowness, is there anyway for the
>client to timeout the transaction? I looked in the documentation but
>couldn't find anyway to set the timeout.
>
>Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

No, there is not.
Also, 'the database not responding due to slowness' likely occurs when either
- the database hasn't been tuned properly - your query is inefficient, because you didn't look at it's execution path.

That said, introducing such a timeout would be fighting symptoms instead of administering a cure.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA