Re: ora-12162 error on Solaris

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:15:43 GMT

"Ian" <estacey_at_chariot.net.ZZ> wrote in

> Hi,
> My pro*C application is giving me and odd error:
>
> Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12162
>
> Don't know whats causing this. The application seems to run on my uni
> server OK?
> I looked for some answers and the closest thing to 12621 was related
> to tns problems. However I can connect OK to the database, run queries
> etc with no problems.
> I am using Solaris 10(X86) and oracle 10g on a standalone machine if
> this helps.
> Any help as to what is going wrong appreciated
> regards
> Ian
>
> change the ZZ if direct reply, thanks

12162, 00000, "TNS:net service name is incorrectly specified"

// *Cause:  The connect descriptor corresponding to the net service name in
// TNSNAMES.ORA or in the directory server (Oracle Internet Directory) is
// incorrectly specified.
// *Action: If using local naming make sure there are no syntax errors in
// the corresponding connect descriptor in the TNSNAMES.ORA file. If using
// directory naming check the information provided through the
administration
// used for directory naming.

I don't do Pro*C, but it could very well be an error of ommission in that something is lacking in the environment for the Pro*C process. Received on Tue Apr 19 2005 - 10:15:43 CDT