Re: hotmail password request tool (intranet usage)

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:06:10 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:
> Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
>

>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>
>>> Here at the University of Washington there have been demonstrations of
>>> archive files that autoexecute when opened (not even unpacked) which is
>>> more than enough to trigger an attack.
>>

>> What's "opening" an archive file and how does it execute something??

> But it does or should I say can. It is not that hard to do but I'm not
> going to advertise how as we seem to already have more than enough
> people doing malicious computing without creating more.
>
>>> How serious is the problem? All .zip files are deleted by our mail
>>> server. I'll let you be the judge, knowing that, of how you feel about
>>> opening and archive that is self-identified as stolen from an internal
>>> web site (what does that say about the poster's integrity level) and
>>> for which the poster has done his or her best to not reveal what is
>>> actually contained.
>>

>> WHAT?  I'd get quite furious if someone just deleted all zips in my
>> email!  Why not just delete all emails, then you can't get spam anymore!

> Get angry if you wish but don't expect to be faculty or student at the
> University of Washington.
>
>>> Microsoft is now involved. If this person is truly inside the company
>>> they may well exit sooner than they planned ... and not through the
>>> front door. I've as much use for thieves as for spammers.
>>

>> I believe it's a virus inside, and no secret MS stuff.  So even if
>> there is, how can I be guilty for just *looking* inside?  Isn't that
>> the same as finding top-secret documents on the street and looking at
>> them?  I didn't sign no NDA.  Of course if it's MS code, then
>> distributing it would be illegal.

> Don't know ... don't care. I handed it off, with full headers, to the
> proper authorities and they were not amused.

Some very basic tools would show that is a waste of time: C:\>nslookup 62.195.137.150
Server: csfw01.cs.nl
Address: 192.168.1.101

Name: i137150.upc-i.chello.nl
Address: 62.195.137.150

$ whois matweb.info
Domain ID:D6093059-LRMS
Domain Name:MATWEB.INFO
Created On:22-Jul-2004 17:04:21 UTC
Registrant Country:NL
Admin Country:NL
Billing Country:NL

Lots of info snipped.

Seems the stuff comes from The Netherlands. And it looks like a spammer tool: request a hotmail account by email; presumably to generate bulkmail from, and abandon the account again.

Nothing out-of-the ordinary...

I make it a habit of checking out things like this, to avoid generating email about hoaxes, etc.

Followup set for cdo.server only. Posted in cdos only

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel