Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: D Rolfe <dwrolfeFRUITBAT_at_orindasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:11:38 +0100

> I wish I had $1 for every time I've found a
> test box that is *not quite* the same as production...
> ;)

You think that's bad? I once worked at a place where the backup/failover system was VMS and our production system was Solaris....

It gets better. Our hardware guy had a 'special relationship' with Digital, which meant we must have been the only site in America that was   attempting to migrate from Unix to VMS.

Our office was located at the Northern end of the Calvaras earthquake fault in California, which means any disaster plan has to assume nuclear levels of destruction. Our backup system was located 50 miles away. Actually 'located' is the wrong word to use. There was an empty computer room 50 miles away and DEC had 'promised' our manager they'd give him the first box off the production line if he ever needed it. As plan 'B's go it's up there with the safety systems on the Titanic...

David Rolfe
Orinda Software
Dublin, Ireland Received on Tue Apr 19 2005 - 03:11:38 CDT