Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 07:57:53 +0100

In message <6j486193m5a4rrj0v3mu355v8t0ud2dl3t_at_4ax.com>, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> writes
>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:47:37 +0100, Jim Smith
><jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>You really are the most appalling ignoramus. Where is the lack of
>>experience or knowledge in knowing that actions which cost money and
>>introduce risk need to be analysed and justified in business terms as
>>well as technical terms.
>
>I don't know why you keep repeating this mantra.

Because its better than the mantra, "RMAN is better because I say so."
>The only reason I can imagine is that you really don't know RMAN,
>otherwise you wouldn't have made those remarks

This is so stupid. Can you explain your reasoning? How does basic common sense imply I don't know RMAN.

>>>What cost or risk in implementing RMAN?
>>
>>The cost of the time to implement and test it, and the risk of breaking
>>a currently working, *critical* component.
>
>In my experience likely *every hand made* backup script is less robust
>than RMAN.

Not everyone who isn't using RMAN is using hand-made scripts. There are other solutions, but in any case a carefully written script by an experienced DBA can certainly be robust. DBAs were writing backup scripts for a long time before RMAN was introduced and probably got quite good at it.

>So when you are talking about *critical* components,
>chances are you might already have one.

You misunderstand the meaning of "critical". It means that a component is (very) important, not that it is more likely to fail.
> You aren't aware of that
>because self-developed solutions are often justed *trusted* instead of
>*tested*,

Someone who hasn't tested their current solution is also unlikely to test their rman solution.
>and it often is quite easy to break them.

>One little example
>is a script where the list of files to be backuped had to be
>maintained in a separate configuration file. As you claim you know
>everything so much better, you could probably, as a quiz question,
>identify why this is a crap solution, and identify the costs involved.

It is probably equally easy to develop a solution using rman which is fatally flawed.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from