Doing multiple row inserts using one insert statement

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 13:29:13 -0700

Hi,

I was just pondering this, to see if it would work and it did.

Here is a snippet of how to do multiple inserts using one insert statement:

/* Example of multi-value insert: */

create table test
 (
  testid number,
  testval varchar2(4000));

insert into test (testid, testval)

select 1, 'value of 1' from dual union all
select 2, 'value of 2' from dual union all
select 3, 'value of 3' from dual;

Hypothesizing, it could even be faster if you pin the dual table, but I haven't done any metrics on that, though.

Hope this helps to optimize your code.

--
Andreas
Oracle Certified DBA and PL/SQL Developer

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding.
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"
--- WARNING: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL Reply to me only on this newsgroup