Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:10:53 +0200

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:47:37 +0100, Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>You really are the most appalling ignoramus. Where is the lack of
>experience or knowledge in knowing that actions which cost money and
>introduce risk need to be analysed and justified in business terms as
>well as technical terms.

I don't know why you keep repeating this mantra. The only reason I can imagine is that you really don't know RMAN, otherwise you wouldn't have made those remarks

>>What cost or risk in implementing RMAN?
>
>The cost of the time to implement and test it, and the risk of breaking
>a currently working, *critical* component.

In my experience likely *every hand made* backup script is less robust than RMAN. So when you are talking about *critical* components, chances are you might already have one. You aren't aware of that because self-developed solutions are often justed *trusted* instead of *tested*, and it often is quite easy to break them. One little example is a script where the list of files to be backuped had to be maintained in a separate configuration file. As you claim you know everything so much better, you could probably, as a quiz question, identify why this is a crap solution, and identify the costs involved.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA