Re: tablespaces & schemas

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 17 Apr 2005 21:13:25 -0700

gaddoz wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm getting ORA-01950 error, when I try to create a table with sys
user in
> the tablespace users.

One: Why are you attempting this? What purpose does this serve? ou should

      NOT use SYS to create nonstandard objects. Two: SYS may not have a quota on USERS, which would override the UNLIMITED
      TABLESPACE privilege thus granted.

> The sys user have unlimited tablespace system privilege granted... so
why
> sys can't use tablespace users?

See above. Oh, and while your perusing the response please give us FAR MORE information on this act, such as WHY you insist upon doing this in the first place.

> And another problem... if I create a tables with userOne, why sys
can't
> grant any privilege to UserTwo?

SYS is not in the business of granting privileges on objects other than those OWNED by SYS. OWNERS grant privileges on their objects to others; why you expect SYS to perform such tasks is a mystery. Unless, of course, you're a frustrated sysadmin entering the world of Oracle Database Administration and have somehow equated SYS to 'root'. They are not the same.

> Only the owner of the table can grant privilege to other user? There
is no
> way?
> Can I change the owner of a table?

Certainly you can, and the imp utility gives you that ability with the fromuser/touser command line option.

> Excuse me.. but I'm getting crazy trying to administer tablespace and

> schemas...

With the methods you're trying to use the reason is obvious. You haven't bothered to learn about SYS, you simply expect it to behave as 'root' on a UNIX system. Certainly SYS is the ultimate 'power' user within Oracle, what with the abilities to start and stop an instance, to alter an instance into and out of archivelog mode, to chage a character set (within reason and the limits imposed by needing a superset of the current characterset), the ability to create an instance and the ability to create user accounts. However powerful SYS may be, the account is NOT designed to be an analog of 'root'. I'd visit tahiti.oracle.com and start reading the Conecpts Guide, to obtain a clearer view of Oracle and how it functions. It also may behoove you to contract a qualified and experienced DBA to assist in these duties.

> Thank you!
>
> Gaddoz

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sun Apr 17 2005 - 23:13:25 CDT