Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 17 Apr 2005 16:27:08 -0700

> What cost or risk in implementing RMAN?
> RMAN has been around for generations of Oracle and it is now the
best,
> safest, fastest, and least cost back up strategy available.

RMAN when it first came out was buggy and unuseable. People remember things like that.

My opinion ... until 9i and the ability to handle control file implications better it was still unsuited to many if not most oracle installations.

If you already had a viable working backup solution, many people have delayed implementing it.

Even now I doubt if RMAN is used at more than 40% of customer sites if that.

Now I am using RMAN. But many people are not and do not use it currently.

"Around for generations" ... what are you smoking? Received on Sun Apr 17 2005 - 18:27:08 CDT