Oracle SQL creating table as a copy of table

From: Paweł <pmg3REMOVETHIS_at_op.pl>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:37:56 +0200

Good evening everybody (GMT+1)
Let's say I have a table called 'employees' and I need to create an identical table for retired contractors - 'contractors'. So what I do is:
1) CREATE table contractors AS SELECT * FROM EMPLOYEES; 2) TRUNCATE TABLE CONTRACTORS; This seems to be a severe abuse of system resources cause I copy a significant amount of data, just to delete it in the very next line and to keep only the structure.

Is there any smarter way to perform this task?

Thank you,
Paweł Gałecki Received on Sun Apr 17 2005 - 12:37:56 CDT