Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:12:09 -0700

Jim Smith wrote:

>> Apparently, you don't know RMAN, otherwise you wouldn't have made
>> those comments.
>> The company still NOT using Rman is not be envied, as Oracle clearly
>> considers RMAN to be core technology, interweaving it more and more
>> with the core database product.
>>

> I do know RMAN and think all oracle sites should be using it, but that
> is not the point. The point is that management need to be persuaded that
> it is worth doing and shouting "this is the best technology" or "vendor
> x says this is the best technology" is not the way to do it.

As a DBA do you ask management to sanction using LMT rather than DMT? Do you ask management if it is Ok to use UNDO rather than RBS? I don't like your argument because as a DBA you are supposed to be a subject matter expert. If you have tested RMAN and know how to implement it then you implement it just as you would any other similar question within your realm of expertise.

> Specifically, you don't know what my attitude to keeping my skills up to
> date is, and you haven't seen my CV so your ludicrous last paragraph is
> worthless.
>
> You seem to working very hard to outdo Daniel Morgan as an irritating,
> knee-jerk bigot.

Maybe both Sybrand and I, when reading English, come to the same conclusion about the thoughts being communicated. I too read what you wrote and assumed you to be paleolithic. You might wish to consider that a communication involves more than what you intend. It involves what the receiving party believes was communicated.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington