ASM on Solaris logical volumes

From: Frank <no_at_spam.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:07:39 +0200

Hello,

I wanted to play a little with Oracle ASM on a Solaris box. Because ASM uses raw devices I created a bunch of 2 gb (logical) metadevices with the Solaris Volume Manager, in the hope that Oracle would be able to use these devices for ASM. However, using dbca and choosing for the ASM option the dbca utility was not able to find the 'disks' (even after changing the ASM disk search path to /dev/md/rdsk/ and chaning ownership of the devicefiles to oracle:dba). So my question is, should this be possible? Does it make any difference to Oracle wether the devices are of type /dev/rdsk/cXtXdXsX (the plain disk device file) or /dev/md/rdsk/dXX (the SVM logical volume device file)?

Regards,
Frank Received on Sun Apr 17 2005 - 08:07:39 CDT