Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:06:39 +0200

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 11:54:59 +0100, Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Why should they switch to RMAN? The currently backups presumably work
>fine, and there will be a significant cost in terms of DBA (and other
>time) in making the switch and testing it.
>
>Do the benefits of RMAN outweigh these costs (and the risks associated
>with the disruption of something as fundamental as backups?) Almost
>certainly, but some figures in terms of DBA time saved, s

Apparently, you don't know RMAN, otherwise you wouldn't have made those comments.
The company still NOT using Rman is not be envied, as Oracle clearly considers RMAN to be core technology, interweaving it more and more with the core database product.

As for your remarks on not upgrading: do you recommend companies to dump their support contract if they don't plan to upgrade.? Probably you don't. But if they don't upgrade, what is the value of their support contract?

All in all I get the feeling you will soon get trivialized, as you don't seem to realize once you stop keeping your skills current, inevitably *you* will be dumped sometime, and stay unemployed, as your cv qualifies you as a dinosaur.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA