Re: BITMAP JOIN INDEXes on highly transactional tables: dangerous ?

From: Alexey Sergeyev <saefido7_at_devexperts.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:08:03 +0400

Hi, Spendius!

    Yes, very likely you will... Recently we had an issue, connected with bitmap joins - one-two times a day we got ORA-00060, and much more often - various blocking locks. The reason was that when a DML is performed on fact table of your bitmap join, the dimension table is getting locked in shared mode (LMODE=4). So during that DML you can't perform any updates on the dimension table - all transactions will wait for commit or rollback on the fact table.

Alexey Sergeyev