Re: RMAN Recovery Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:27:40 +0200

On 14 Apr 2005 10:09:00 -0700, amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

>But what I am wondering is that, say your instance crashes due to a
>media failure and you lose 2 disks. So, you need to recover. Well,
>you can recover using RMAN and catalog any archive logs not already in
>the RMAN catalog.
>
>But, what about commited transactions in the online logs that have not
>been archived yet? How do you reapply those up until the point of
>failure?

You seem to be relying on the everything on 1 single unmirrored disk concept.
How likely is the chance, you loose *both* your datafiles *and* *ALL* copies of your online redologs? Apart from that, during backup automatic archival is not suspended.
If you really don't want to loose any transaction you require - a properly setup database with mirrored disks, and avoiding single point of failures in your disk configuration (like all copies of the control file on 1 physical device, or all copies of the online redolog on 1 physical device)
- and in conjunction to that : a standby database.

Apart from all this, assuming your aren't still using 300Mb disk drives from the 80s: disk failures are very rare.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA