Re: Space Management w/ LMTs

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:34:51 +1000

Joel Garry apparently said,on my timestamp of 14/04/2005 9:14 AM:

> And yet, how do you use it to create a small table where there is a big
> INITIAL in a big table that won't fit in the new schema? (no unix
> shell commands or modification of the dmp allowed :-)

Not the dmp. But I can dump it using show=y or indexfile=zot.sql, then massage the output. Which usually follows a number of rules, like: anything with INITIAL > 100M goes to the uniform LMT of 1M chunks, anything below that goes to uniform 64K. And so on, depending how big objects may be. Some awk and/or "regular expressioning" required, but then again one of the guys working with us has actually written part of the Linux code for all this so things are easier. And boy, does he know Perl! ;)

This is why I like the "skeleton" export: it lets me do all these manipulations instead of having to pour through the dictionary tables building the statements meself: RPITA.

On the other hand, I'm getting excellent results with DBMS_METADATA as well. But you need 9ir2 for that, I think?

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto