Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Shabble <gbarbour_at_baesystemsdotcom>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:04:51 +0100

> These are technologies that need to be learn to determine if they will
suit
> their business needs. How can your employers determine if they need these
> technologies if none of their workers know anything about it.

The world is not computerised. Very far from it. The world is not yet ready for computerisation; because the statement above is so true.
But we have computers I hear you say, plenty of them, all over the place! Yes you have, but is your business computerised? No, it isn't.
You have lots of lovely graphic kits, ERP systems, text processors, spreadsheets, and databases, control systems etc; but very little "real" integration. You are talking about the DBA job being trivialised, yes I have seen and endured it myself. I can assure you however, this is a temporary political phenomena.

Don't underestimate yourselves; you have the technical grounding to understand the application
the new waves of technology, computerisation, which is coming.

Here's an example in terms you are already experts in. Stand back for a minute and think about the differences between Oracle7  (Oracle6 if your my age) and compare it to Oracle10G. Then, factor in the short period of time between the technologies. Pretty stunning huh!
Haven't Oracle done an amazing job. I use the word amazing deliberately.  Look up the word "amaze" in a dictionary :-To affect with great wonder; to astonish.
Yes, and the bye the way it also means: To bewilder; perplex.

Let the politicians or managers have their way, for the moment, the future of computing is computerisation -
bringing it all together, were not there yet, but were on the way.

Who are going to be the amazed and who are going to be the perplexed, it's up to you.

Shabs. Received on Wed Apr 13 2005 - 04:04:51 CDT