Re: No shared memory for Oracle with ipcs under Solaris ?

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:26:44 GMT

aarg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find the memory size of some oracle instance .
> With aix i do this with svmon + ipcs .

[...]
> But when i run the ipcs -mA command, it shows no shared memory for
> oracle. Some shared memory is shown, but none for the oracle user !

[...]
> The setup is Solaris 5.8 and Oracle 9 . It should be noted that i'm
> not
> root on the server, but i don't think that would change anything to
> the
> ipcs output.
>
> Thanks a lot if anyone can help or provide me pointers to info ,
>
> Regards,
>
> Dav'

Under Solaris the shared memory info is in fact subject to ownership permissions. So if you were root, the "ipcs -bm" or "ipcs -am" commands would indeed show you all segments, including oracle's.

Otherwise, you only see your own, so log in as 'oracle' and then run the ipcs command. There might even be a way for root to change the permissions to allow all access, but I don't know it from memory.

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Apr 12 2005 - 10:26:44 CDT