Re: create database and new instance

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:20:47 GMT

DA Morgan wrote:

> Mark Bole wrote:
>

>> DA Morgan wrote:

[...]
>>> What you likely
>>> want is to create a schema which is a combination of a
>>> userid and password.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Well, I know what you mean, and you know what you mean,
[...]
> Though the "precision of language" harkens back to a bygone era I think
> you are right to point it out in this case and I appreciate the
> correction. Or should it be clarification?
>
> What really makes your point is one of Oracle's least known bits of
> syntax ... and one I use quite often: CREATE SCHEMA.

Definitely a clarification... which is why I used the "we know what you mean" phrase. No testosterone squirting from this keyboard! ;-)

Thanx for the pointer to the CREATE SCHEMA statement, you're right it's not part of my everyday vocabulary. And, just to un-clarify the issue, Oracle's documentation contradicts itself in the following statement (versus the glossary definition of schema):

"This statement does not actually create a schema. Oracle Database automatically creates a schema when you create a user (see CREATE USER ). This statement lets you populate your schema ..."

So, the concept of an empty schema for each newly created user is implied, as in your original post. The legacy Java console Enterprise Manager only shows non-empty schemas in the left-hand side folder bar. However the newer Database Control does show empty schemas in the pick list (not nearly as useful, in my opinion).

So, back to the the OP's issue, just as you pointed out there is a 1:M relationship between databases and instances, there is a 1:(0 or 1) relationship between users and non-empty schemas. The important (and confusing!) point being, in many applications the preferred (or only) way to access a non-empty schema is by logging in as the owner of an empty schema!

-Mark Bole Received on Tue Apr 12 2005 - 10:20:47 CDT