SQL*Loader-908: Unable to lock table due to ORACLE error 54

From: John Leslie <johnleslie_at_madasafish.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2005 06:09:37 -0700

We have a situation where batches of data are being loaded into a table using sqlldr all day long. sqlldr uses direct load for speed. At the same time we have a routine that deletes old records from the table.

I believe that sqlldr needs to take an exclusive table lock...is that correct? Which would explain why I sometimes get Oracle 54 errors from sqlldr when the delete process is running?

Is my analysis of this error correct?

Any ideas on resolution? I presume conventional load does not take an exclusive table lock? Received on Tue Apr 12 2005 - 08:09:37 CDT