Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:27:51 +1000

Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> writes:

> Agree, but I feel there should be some reward in this off-hour study;
> allow to visit (E)OUG meetings during office hours, all expenses paid.
> That kind of stuff.

Agreed. I think there should always be more carrot than stick!

> Now, with OAS, that may be over the top for some desktops. :)

Yes - very true - its all getting very large an complex and you probably do need to select what is needed rather than everything - though disk is getting cheapre and cpus are getting faster! My main point is that you can now have an environment on your laptop which is increadibly close to your production environment and really be able to use good old 'suck and see' approaches to learning and be very confident the results you observe are likely to be extremely close to what you would see on a full blown production system.

Maybe I'm a little thick sometimes, but I have always found the ability to try out my understanding and clarify my knowledge by testing it invaluable. I often find descriptions and manuals lacking in crucial bits of knowledge or not quite being clear enough for me to grasp - the ability to freely experiment in an environment close to the production system. There have been times in the past when I've tried something out on a 'stripped down' version or on a really different platform (windows v unix like systems etc) and thought I had a grasp on it all only to find there was some subtle but critical difference between the two - not saying this is the case with Oracle personal edition or windows edition, but it is something which has happened with other systems.

Tim

--
Tim Cross