Re: Comparative between DB2, Informix and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:12:13 -0700

FireHawkBr® wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My company uses Informix as corporative database.
> As experienced DBA of the company, I have that to make a study comparing
> Oracle, Informix and DB2 databases and suggesting new alternatives.
> I have 10 years of experience with Oracle, 2-3 year with DB2 UDB
> and few experience with Informix (there are anothers DBAs that manage
> Informix here). Anyone have any kind of comparative ?
> Or personal opinions that whom good experience with DBs.
>
> My objective is not to generate flame wars !!!
> An argument very used by the development team is the facility use of
> Informix 4GL, mainly with batch programs. Which are the alternatives to
> the 4GL for Oracle?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcelo Wotfe
> DBA Senior
> São Paulo - SP - Brazil

Well if you don't want to start a flame war then you might rethink your strategy. Anyone that is in the IBM-DB2 group is going to give you wholly predictable opinions, just as those in the Informix and Oracle groups will too.

So since you seem to be legitimately asking then I'm going to toss this one back at you for providing insufficient information from which anyone could formulate an intelligent response.

Provide enough information about your requirements that people can specifically respond to what your plan to do.

Your question, as stated reads roughly as ... I am thinking about buying a vehicle with wheels. Should I get a BMW, an 18 wheeler, a train, or a 747-300.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington