Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: Domenic <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2005 20:02:16 -0700

I'd like everyone's thoughts on this ...

More and more I am finding that the role of the Oracle DBA is not taken as seriously as it once was.

Having worked for many software companies in the last few years I see the same pattern over and over -- most shops refuse to stay current with Oracle and patchsets -- they're still running 8i, don't want to use Oracle-specific features (clusters, IOTs, etc.) for fear it will lock them into Oracle, and let the developers model and write their own DDL.

Most of the time I feel they only want a DBA to put out fires.

Here are some recent examples ...

This is not just my current company, but they all seem to be the same lately. It seems that the Java shops operate this way more than anyone else -- very hostile attitude towards Oracle and DBAs in general.

Is it just me, or does this go on everywhere?

Domenic. Received on Sun Apr 10 2005 - 22:02:16 CDT