PL/SQL time format Q

From: melned <uncle_melned_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2005 17:26:52 -0700

I'm attempting to insert a julian time stamp into a table using PL/SQL. I'm able to alter my session such that SYSDATE output is julian in a select statement:

  alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'J';

  Session altered.

  select SYSDATE from dual;

  SYSDATE

  2453471

When I attempt to insert this value, I end up with a 'DD-MMM-YY' format such as '10-APR-05'. The column into which I'm attempting to insert is of type DATE.

  alter session set NLS_DATE_FORMAT = 'J';

  INSERT into <table name>
  VALUES ( SYSDATE ) Any pointers on where I've gone wrong would be greatly appreciated. Received on Sun Apr 10 2005 - 19:26:52 CDT