Re: 'create tablespace' question

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:32:25 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:j87g51l1af1dd72kctqtfn7bletbqucmm3_at_4ax.com...
> On 9 Apr 2005 10:34:44 -0700, "mea0730" <mea0730-google_at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>If I create a tablespace with the following syntax and run an import,
>>all the data goes into the last data file. It's not spread across the
>>datafiles.
>
> Well that is really not surprising, isn't it. Normally a tablespace is
> just filled up, and a second datafile is only being used after it is
> added. You seem to expect there is a sort of 'software-striping'
> algorithm when you create multiple datafiles: there isn't.
> Apart from that, as you are creating all those datafiles on one
> filesystem, and you seem to be monitoring how far each datafile is
> filled up: do you want an administration nightmare, or do you just
> have plenty of time to administer this database, or do you just want
> make sure you don't have to ever add space again.

Sybrand,

Are you sure this is correct ? I don't have a system for testing right now, but I believe that if you create a tablespace with multiple datafiles, and then import an object with multiple extents, Oracle will create the first extent in the first datafile, the second extent in the second and so on (in a sort of round-robin fashion).

Matthias Received on Sat Apr 09 2005 - 14:32:25 CDT