Re: MUPSERT IN TRIGGER ++ standards

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:08:22 -0400

"Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:d38er3$svv$1_at_news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Serge Rielau wrote:
>
>> Two different things. One may believe that 120V/60Hz is not a good
>> combination, yet likely appreciate that the standard exists everytime I
>> buy an appliance and it doesn't blow up in my face.
>
> Try that with the 230V/50Hz over here :D
> Standards anyone?
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

same holds true for on what side of the road you drive, how you use the language, etc., etc.

standards are a measure of agreement so that, within a specific context, people can cooperate and get somewhat reliable results

i believe it was Crosby Stills Nash & Young in the 70's who proclaimed 'rules and regulations -- who needs them!' i don't think they would have been too happy if their record label released their albums pressed to play at 37 RPM instead of the 'standard' 33-1/3

no standards are perfect, and no standards are perfectly adhered to -- they are just tools we use to enable cooperation

(end of philosphying)

(maybe not -- i'm assuming you'll be able to read this due to some degree of standards compliance by the computer equipment at your end of the wire)

++ mcs Received on Sat Apr 09 2005 - 07:08:22 CDT