Re: Development server install optimization

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 8 Apr 2005 16:00:55 -0700

John Goodwin wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I appreciate your rather detailed instructions, and if you have any
> more tips I would gladly look into them.
>
> Regarding my "space problem" it's not really a "problem" per se, but
> considering I would like to try implementing some regular full system
> backups, including a "bare metal" restore set, 3GB just for oracle is
> bit much IMO.
>
> I have an 80GB drive, which after all my dev tools, and Oracle
> installed, and whatnot is down to about 42GB.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> John Goodwin

Ok I understand more now. Oracle installs have definitely gotten a lot larger with the last several releases.

Yes you can find ways to cut down on the size of the install. But that has a learning curve and requires some time.

But you have lots of space already ...

My advice if you are just playing around is not include oracle in your backups ... you can always re-install ( guess working on the train is play around eh? ).

As long as you backup what you are testing and developing and can re-populate your database with a fresh export from some other source ... what's the worry? Received on Fri Apr 08 2005 - 18:00:55 CDT