Re: Development server install optimization

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 8 Apr 2005 11:59:37 -0700

Comments embedded.
John Goodwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm rather new to Oracle, and I was wondering where I could read
about
> optimizing the installation of Oracle for my development machine.
I'd
> like to reduce the size Oracle consumes, as the development server
> install I did takes up about 3GB which seems rather large to be able
> run the database, considering the dump file I needed to import was
only
> 17MB.

You COULD install software only, and perform a custom install, eliminating bits and pieces you don't like or don't care to have (such as the space-consuming database templates). This, of course, indicates you know what you're eliminating. Possibly this would be best left to a contractor who has installed and configured Oracle more than once.

> The features I appear to need are:
> 1) Basic database server supporting all the primary database
features,
> joins, selects, views, stored procedures, triggers, constraints,
> indexes, etc

Standard Edition seems to fit this bill nicely.

> 2) TNS Listener for DB Connection strings and Oracle Enterprise
Manager
> (any suggestions to not need this also welcome)

Included with the server installation.

> 3) Oracle Enterprise Manager

This takes you to the Enterprise Edition, rather than Standard Edition.

> 4) Anything necessary to run the free Oracle version of Toad, or a
> suggestion for something similar, but better, as SQL Plus is rather
> lacking.

Lacking in what, pray tell? A GUI? I've been doing quite nicely without TOAD and with SQL*Plus for around 17+ years now, and I find nothing lacking.

> 5) imp.exe and exp.exe commands necessary also.

Included in the Standard/Enterprise installation.

> The server would be running locally on my laptop, and would need to
run
> that way due to lack of connectivity to the real servers during some
> times that I have available for development (example: on the train or
> at home)
>
> Any ideas are welcome, flames including specific reference material I
> can go read is also welcome <grin>

tahiti.oracle.com, the on-line docmentation for releases 10g and earlier (for any documentation earlier than 9.0.1 there is a link at the bottom of the page).

> Thanks,
>
> John Goodwin

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Apr 08 2005 - 13:59:37 CDT