Re: LDAP aliases in OID?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:05:27 GMT

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:33:02 -0400, Chuck interested us by writing:

> Is it possible to create and ldap entry using Oracle Directory Manager
> that's an alias for an previously existing entry? If so how? I am not

In what context. Pure ODM only? (afaik, this is not supported by ODM), or Within an app?

I assume you've searched appendixes B & C of OracleŽ Internet Directory Administrator's Guide (App Server 10g docco). I can easily be proven wrong here as I haven't explored ODM in depth since an earlier release.

And hopefully you are using OiD in 10g!

<useless diatribe>
Many people forget that LDAP stores, like OiD are JUST databases. It takes software to invoke aliases and do redirects like that which you request, and that software will only be available in a specific context. So interpretation of the things like 'users in a group' or 'aliases' is done by some code (like ODM), usually through a second lookup. (And those nested lookups explain why LDAP searches need to be so dagnabbed fast.) </useless diatribe>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com