Put code inside or outside database?

From: GeoPappas <PappasG_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Apr 2005 06:45:19 -0700

I was wondering what your opinion on this subject was...

You can place application code in various places. There are three main camps (that I see):

  1. Put all (or most) of the application code outside the database (e.g., in Java or .NET on an app server).
  2. Put all (or most) of the application code inside the database (using PL/SQL, stored procedures, and triggers).
  3. Use a combination of 1 and 2. In other words, put some code outside the database, and some code in the database.

What does your place of employment currently do? What do you think is the "best practice"? Received on Fri Apr 08 2005 - 08:45:19 CDT