Re: CBO choses wrong path - why???

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 8 Apr 2005 05:48:14 -0700

Vsevolod, whenever I see what appears to be the wrong plan on a simple like the one you posted I usally make checking when the statistics were last collected, how they were collected, and how close the actual count(*) is to the dba_tables.num_rows column the first thing I do so that I do not spend a lot of time trying to fix what is just an out of date statistics problem.

If the statistics are current and valid then Jonathan's recognition that first_rows can cause this kind of choice is definitely worth researching.

Being you are working with a vendor application I am not sure you can do much about the problem if it is a bind variable mismatch problem like Jonathan and Shabble both mentioned.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Apr 08 2005 - 07:48:14 CDT