Re: Challenge: Partitioning is a wrong idea

From: <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2005 18:04:21 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:
> Even this guy can come up with more things:
> http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_tips_partitioning.htm

Spell out your arguments and I will address them the way I address Don's:

The code is a liability. There are always bugs in it. There is always a case when during new feature design its interaction with partitioning simply haven't been thought out.

OK, I can range partition, then I could hash partition on top of it. Cool. Prove me that even one level of partitioning gives me a single benefit, first.

You want to backup a portion of the table? Have it occured to you that

create table_copy as
select * from table_at_db_link
where my_criteria

is perhaps the simplest and the most flexible way to accomplish this?

What are partitioned tablespaces? Is it one more concept to learn?

This should be clarifed. What kind of maintenance? The way to focus onto a certain portion of the table is

select from table where your_focus_condition

This could be a part of bigger maintenence operation.

This is anecdotical evidence without a SQL*Plus log proof in Tom's style.

Sorry, no. Index range scans has nothing to do with partitioning. Their speed is attributed to ingenious B*Tree structure.

Select by index range scan, instead! Admittedly, this is might be inferior to partition scan beacause random IO is less performant than sequential one. Make the table index-organized, then. (You f**ked up the table physical layout with these "partitions" anyway. Index organised table provides some coherent structure, at least).

Would it be faster than indexed nested loop?

Parallel query could work with normal tables as well, right? Received on Thu Apr 07 2005 - 20:04:21 CDT