Re: Challenge: Partitioning is a wrong idea

From: <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2005 13:35:07 -0700

hpuxrac wrote:
> Have you read Jonathon Lewis's book? He has about 50 pages I think
> about partitioning.
>
> Also Tom Kyte's effective oracle by design. Chapter 1 "all of it"
plus
> at least the section on partitioning or not?
>
> You need to understand a bunch more about the subject ( my opinion ).
>
> Remember "no silver bullets" just a lot of techniques that can be
very
> useful if you understand the pro's and con's, when to use them, when
> not to, how to test whether they are useful for your environment or
> not.
>
> "It depends" ... but you need to do a bunch more legwork.

Please don't "no silver bullets" bu***it me. If I ask the same question about bitmapped indexes, or marerialized views, I would be immediately referred to some research and whitepapers. I hold nothing against both books -- which are indeed excellent books for the right audience. Yet, I expect you to provide more substantial argument. Received on Thu Apr 07 2005 - 15:35:07 CDT