Re: Recovery Question

From: Eric de Redelijkheid <ericdere_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 21:44:44 +0200

Anno Domini 7-4-2005 19:28, fitzjarrell_at_cox.net sprak aldus:

>ame..._at_iwc.net wrote:
>

>>David,
>>
>>I'm simply trying to understand what is happening here. We took a
>>

>hot
>

>>backup of all of our tablespaces last night as well as a backup of
>>

>the
>

>>control file.
>>
>>I copied those files to a second server and tried to open the
>>

>database.
>

>> It told me that the system tablespace needed media recovery. I do
>>

>not
>

>>understand this since it was just a simple copy from a hot backup.
>>
>>At any rate, I started the recovery. The backup was taken at 8:00pm
>>last night. It is now applying logs from 1:00am this morning. How
>>

>can
>

>>that be is all the datafiles and control files were from 8:00pm last
>>night.
>>
>>That is what I am trying to make sense of.
>>

>You don't take a hot backup of your database and try to use it to make
>a clone on another server, at least not without RMAN. And, your SYSTEM
>tablespace is probably fine; it's likely some OTHER tablespace file
>which is in a more recent state than your SYSTEM tablespace.
>
>To do this properly you would cleanly shutdown the source instance,
>make a COLD backup, then transfer these copies to your second server.
>Such copies need NO recovery, and barring any unforseen corruption from
>the file transfers you'd have a running instance. The complete
>instructions have been given numerous times in this newsgroup, so you
>should search for them.
>
>I would, in your situation, start OVER, take a COLD backup of your
>database and begin your cloning process there.
>

>David Fitzjarrell

You can clone a database using a hot backup. The procedure is as follows: 1. make a logswitch with alter system switch logfile 2. put your tablespaces in backup mode with alter tablespace ... begin backup. All of them except temporary.

3. copy datafiles
4. place your tablespaces out of backup mode with alter tablespace
...end backup
5.  do a logswitch again.
6. copy all archivelog files from the first to the last logswitch to the
new server
7. startup nomount and create new controlfiles
8. recover automatic database using backup controlfile
9. alter database open resetlogs

and your done.

You should see in the alertlog which archivelogs are applied. It should not need any logfiles up to the moment you put your tablespaces out of backup mode. I do this all the time, never fails. Received on Thu Apr 07 2005 - 14:44:44 CDT