Re: Challenge: Partitioning is a wrong idea

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:20:13 GMT

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:05:49 -0700, mikharakiri_nospaum interested us by writing:

> It is undeniable that partitioning concept introduces extra
> complications. You have to be aware of many extra technicalities: what
> is partition prunning, what is partition wise join, etc.

Funny thing about the above statement: the big benefit of partitioning is from a developer's and user's perspective, they do not need to know about partition pruning or partition wise join to get the related benefits.

So it's basically a case of moving the responsibility from the [get it done fast at any cost] developers to the [the buck stops here] DBAs. <G>

Of course, things like: transportable tablespaces allowing the buiding of just the lastest set of data and snapping that into the warehouse, requiring about 37 seconds of downtime in the warehouse; archiving data that should be moved from online to near-line in minutes; wiping only portions of data to be able to reload it; data-oriented indexing rather than table-oriented indexing - these things are irrelevant.

Love to see the end result of your analysis. Last several related ROI & performance analyses I did found in favour of partitioning, but I could be wrong.

Of course, for lazy DBAs, I AM totally wrong! <BG>

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com