Re: Challenge: Partitioning is a wrong idea

From: <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2005 11:58:12 -0700

booga..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Sure. Try deleting 1 years worth of data from a non-partitioned
table
> that's 1 terabyte and holds 8 years worth of data.

Oh, year. I was supposed to sh*t my pants by you mentioning 1 TB.

Why the performance of deleting 1 year of data

delete from sales_history
where txn_date < ...

is critical in any way? More specifically, please let me know what possible business process might be disrupted. FYI, a design where there data is never deleted is not that uncommon at all. Received on Thu Apr 07 2005 - 13:58:12 CDT